Baking almost never works out for me, so I was pleasantly surprised by the result of these muffins. These are not light, fluffy muffins. They are dense, nutrient rich, and very filling. As always, when I cook something sweet I use dates in place of sugar. Sugar is no good! Another bonus about these muffins is they contain no oil. Great healthy snack for the kiddos… or hungry mamas!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup almonds
- 2 large carrots
- 1 medium apple
- 1 cup medjool dates (about 8-9 large dates)
- ½ cup canned coconut milk
- ½ tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 T ground flax seed + 6 T water
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Combine flax seed and water in a small bowl and let sit for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- Using a food processor, process Almonds into a course meal. Add dates and process until crumbly.
- Cut carrots and apples in large chunks and add to food processor along with the ginger, coconut milk, vanilla, and flax seed mixture. Pulse until well combined and carrots and apples are shredded.
- Add wet mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Scoop into greased muffin tins and bake for about 17-20 minutes. Allow muffins to cool for a bit before removing from muffin tins.
Makes 12 mufins