- 3.5 -4 lb butternut squash
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, thinly sliced
- 3 stalks of celery, thinly sliced
- 1 granny smith apple, diced
- 32 oz vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 T fresh sage, chopped
- 1 t fresh thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- chopped walnuts for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cut butternut squash in half, lengthwise and discard seeds. Brush each half with olive oil. Place butternut squash cut side up on a cookie sheet and roast in oven for 45-60 minutes or until fork tender.
2. In a large pot, saute onions in 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add carrots, celery, and apple and saute for another minute or two.
3. Add broth and water to pot and bring to a boil. reduce heat and simmer until vegetables and apple are tender. Set aside and wait for butternut squash.
4. Once butternut squash is done cooking, remove from oven and wait until cool enough to handle. Scoop out the flesh with a spoon and add to pot of vegetables. Discard skin.
5. Puree pot of vegetables in batches until smooth. You may need to add a little extra water here and there to obtain desired consistency. Return pureed mixture to pot and reheat.
6. Scoop into individual bowls and garnish with chopped walnuts.