This recipe has it all! Dark green, orange, protein, fiber, mushrooms, onions… all of which are extremely good for the ol’ body. I love the simplicity of this salad. There really aren’t any “crazy ingredients”, I mean, the purple kale and shitake mushrooms aren’t ingredients that are always hanging around, but regular kale (or any other dark green for that matter) and white mushrooms would work just fine. This salad took me less than 20 minutes to put together and I was even cutting up fruit for little Ruby during the process. My lentils were pre-made since we had them with dinner the night before, but lentils really don’t take long to cook either. Have you tried them in the rice cooker??? 1 part lentils 2 parts water… soooo easy! Enjoy an exceptionally healthy and filling salad.
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- 1 small-medium sweet potato
- ½ bunch purple kale
- 2 cups shitake mushrooms
- ¼ large onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Start by dicing the sweet potato. Add to a steamer basket and steam until tender. Add Kale to basket about 2 minutes before you remove from heat.
- Mince garlic and add to a skillet, over medium high heat, with chopped onion and about ¼ cup of water. Sauté for a few minutes.
- Add mushrooms to skillet and sauté for about 10 minutes, adding small amounts of water as needed, until mushrooms are tender. Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Salad Assembly is simple. Just throw cooked lentils, steamed sweet potato and kale, and mushrooms in a bowl.
- Enjoy a filling warm salad that is jam packed with nutrition!
*This recipe made 2 very large salads for me and the hubby, with plenty to share with the little one.