Here is a parfait that is out of the “norm” that must be tried. The chia seeds are bursting with nutrition, and who doesn’t love a ripe, juicy pear? Did you know that the Fruit n’ Yogurt Parfait at McDonald’s has a whopping 23 grams of sugar? Do yourself a favor and skip the drive thru. Instead, reap the health benefits of this delicious parfait.
- 2-3 ripe pears, diced
For the chia pudding:
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons date sugar (or other preferred sweetener)
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Chill in the refrigerator overnight or at least 4 hours.
For the granola:
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup date sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup liquid sweetener ( I used agave)
- 2 tablespoons flax seed + 3 tablespoons water, combine and let stand for 10 minutes
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix until coated evenly. Spread evenly onto a baking sheet and bake at 300° for 30-35 minutes.
Assemble parfait by layering chia pudding, granola, and pears.
*Makes at least 4 parfaits if using pint-sized mason jars.